Friday, October 12, 2012

slapped

I've spoken before about the difference between No and Yes people. I was struck by it again this week.

First up, I headed along to The Bank to talk Serious.Money.Stuff. Now, banks are banks, I get that and so I wasn't suprised by the answer I received. But I did find myself startled by the way it was delivered.

You might think that a No is a No. But I reckon that the way it is expressed is critical. A No answer can be communicated in a way that is generous and supportive and expansive and life.affirming. A No can recognise the beauty and brilliance and bravery in the question and simultaneously regret the possibility of a positive reply.

Alternatively, a No can resemble a big.fat.wet.fish.slap. Followed up with a Please Be In Touch. [double.bleugh].

Later in the week I met with a beautiful New Friend. The day was wet and wintery but we sat in a delicious space and wrapped our hands around steaming tea and got to know each other in a cute first.date.esque sort of way. She was super funny and self.deprecating and beautifully appreciative of life in all its possibility. I am convinced that even her Nos would be Yes infused.

Huh. What a difference!

Such a beautiful reminder - to focus not just on what I say but also, on how I say it. This week friends, I'm championing Yes.