Monday, September 7, 2009

praise, praise, praise


I keep a photocopied excerpt from Miranda July's No one Belongs Here More Than You in my journal:

Do you have doubts about life? Are you unsure if it is worth the trouble? Look at the sky: that is for you. Look at each person's face as you pass on the street: those faces are for you. And the street itself, and the ground under the street, and the ball of fire underneath the ground: all these things are for you. They are as much for you as they are for other people. Remember this when you wake up in the morning and think you have nothing. Stand up and face the east. Now praise the sky and praise the light within each person under the sky. It's okay to be unsure. But praise, praise, praise.

I am blessed, in that I am overwhelmingly convinced of the brilliance of life and of the value of being here. Still, I often find myself unsure about all that surrounds me. I benefit from a reminder to Praise.

And I think the universe agrees. Recently, I have felt myself being quietly nudged, softly invited to reflect actively on all the good that fills my life.

An email from a beautiful friend, telling of a Blessings Journal she has started. Not a creepy ra-ra journal. Just a place where she notes good things: senses, interactions, achievements, memories, happenings or processes that have lifted her. There's room for wonder: why the good thing has happened, what it means, how she and others may have contributed to it, what she has learned and how she can invite more of it into her life.

Then yesterday, a gift-for-me from another wonderful woman I know. A little book: blank-paged, open to possibility, inviting reflection on what, perfectly, is.

And today, soaking up the words of a woman whose lovely blog invariably reminds me of all the world has to offer. Gently suggesting un-knotting and returning to a focus on what matters.

So. I am listening. I am writing. And I am slowly turning, to face a little more eastward.