Tuesday, November 13, 2012

laps


I went swimming last week, with My Lovely One. We rode our bikes and the sun was shining. [Until it started to storm when we were in the water...thrilling!]

Now, I am not the World's Best Swimmer and really, I don't love.love.love swimming for fitness. I go because I know how good it is for me. Normally I swim laps with my head down and I tend to be A Little Bit Serious about it all. [ha!]

But last week, for some reason, I decided to shake it up. Instead of swimming heaps of laps all the same [and, if I am completely honest, getting a little, tiny bit bored] I did back stroke and side stroke and breast stroke and kick boarding slower than all the beautiful grandmas who were in the slow lane with me. I even did some water running down in the deep end. Super!

And you know the funny thing? Despite looking fantastically daggy, I had the best time and probably even had a better and more complete work out than I normally do.

Another [how many do I get I wonder?] gentle reminder that letting go of the need to Be Perfect can yield beautifully satisfying and life.enhancing results.