Thursday, July 19, 2012

glossed


There I was. Riding my bike, cruising. Happy! On my way to a cheeky drink with a favourite friend of mine [oops. that was indeed me snort.laughing last saturday night. eeep!]

So there I was sailing around the corner when *!snap!* The clasp on my favourite little bag broke and oh! there it went, scuttling under my wheels. Cars coming up behind. Me panicking to get out of the way.

And then: a sickening crunch.

The sound of all my treasures (read: phone and unbacked.up phone numbers] disappearing under the tyres of a semi-trailer [ok, a mini.van]. A whole slew of cars followed: hurtling, missing my bag by (just!) a thread as I willed them away.

Finally, I dashed, grabbed, retrieved. Opened. And what do you know? Phone intact. Buffered by a lip gloss (smashed and smeared) that was tossed in as an afterthought.

I have been (disproportionately) grateful ever since. Reminded that most of the time, stuff tends to work out ok. Reminded too that a touch of lip gloss really does never go astray.